Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Authors: Md. Mahmudul Hasan, Md. Mahmudul
Keywords: Present status, livelihood, fishermen, Fisher community, Saria Kandi
Issue Date: Jun-2022
Publisher: Chattogram Veterinary & Animal Sciences University
Abstract: The study was done From July to December 2021, to evaluate the fisher community's means of subsistence along the Jamuna River near Saria Kandi Upazila in the bogura area of Bangladesh. Data from 42 fisherman in the selected area were gathered using a well-structured questionnaire. According to the survey, 81% of fishermen were Muslims, and 48% of fishermen were between the ages of 31 and 50. It was also discovered that most fishermen 48% in the sampled area belonged to families of between five and six people. About 40% of fishermen had small families with three to four members, 48 % had medium families and 12% had large families. Only 22% of fishermen, fishing was their sole source of income. In addition to fishing, 19% of people worked in agriculture, 20% in daily labour, 22% in livestock rearing, and 17% in small businesses. Majority of the fishermen were primary level (33%). A little amount of them illiterate 5% because of could sign only were considered literate and higher secondary 5% among them secondary level 29% as well as 28% the fishermen were from can sign only. The majority of fisherman 62% received medical care from village doctors, followed by 33 % from the Upazila health complex and the remaining 5% from kobiraz and others so on. Vast number of the people 95% had tin shed house those were made of tin roofing, 0nly 5% have semi-paka house among them 55% fishermen build house in the khas land and 45% were live in their own place. The income distribution among the fishermen was as follows: 33% had low income 53% had medium income and 14% had high income 53 % of fisherman reported having a medium monthly income. Only 12 % of them achieved financial independence and remaining 88 % rely on loans for their basic fishing needs. 72 % of the fishermen in the sample were found to utilize slab toilets, compared to 12 % who used modern toilets and 2 % who used pit toilets. It is important to highlight that 14% of fisherman did not have access to bathrooms. Electricity facilities were made fulfil to fisherman. The study revealed that the fishermen of Jamuna River were mostly illiterate, poor income, lack of training exposure and lack of awareness about their health facilities and sanitation. So, provide soft term loan and building people awareness have been suggested to improve the livelihood status of fishermen in Jamuna River.
Appears in Collections:Thesis-MS

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
akknowledgement cover page FINAL.pdf143.93 kBAdobe PDFView/Open
final thesis EDIT last.docx2.34 MBMicrosoft Word XMLView/Open
bibliography.pdf27.71 kBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.